In basic words, mensuration in mathematics means measurement. It is a geometrical branch of mathematics that deals with measurements of two-dimensional and three-dimensional figures, shapes by using parameters like area, volume, perimeter, length, breadth, height, surface area, and more. For all these parameters different formulas are used to measure, calculate and solve the mathematical problems in mensuration levels.
Dealing with so many formulas, equations, shapes, and word problems, make students find mensuration lessons difficult. But with the right learning strategies, this difficulty can be reduced. Let us discuss some effective study tips that students can follow to study mensuration lessons in their syllabus.
Some important mensuration terms
- Perimeter: the perimeter is the total distance around a closed figure, or it is the total boundary around a closed shape. For example, the perimeter of a square is (4×side), and the perimeter of a rectangle is ( 2× length + breadth). It is measured in units such as meters, centimeters, etc.
- Area: area in mathematics is defined as the region of space occupied by a two-dimensional space. It is an amount covered by a flat shape. For example, the area of the square is ( side× side ), the area of the rectangle is ( length × breadth), the area of a rhombus is ( diagonal one × diagonal 2 / 2 ). It is measured as square units such as meter square, centimeter square, etc.
- Volume: the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional figure such as a cube, a cuboid is termed as volume. For example, the volume of a sphere is ( 4/3) πr cube.
- Surface area: this refers to the total area occupied by all the surfaces of a three-dimensional figure. This includes curved surface area and total surface area of 3D shapes like sphere, cone, cylinder, cube, etc.
Tips for studying mensuration lessons better
- Learn the formulas properly
In mensuration topics of maths, you have several formulas to learn. Without properly learning the formulas you won’t be able to understand and solve the questions properly. Hence remember to learn the formulas properly. Keep revising them regularly so that you don’t forget them.
- Make a formula chart
There are several formulas that you have to learn in the mensuration lessons. You might not be able to learn all the formulas together. And because of this, you might face difficulty in solving the questions and checking the formulas again and again in the books. This will consume a lot of time and become hectic. To make the mensuration chapters more systematic, easy to approach, and less difficult, students must prepare the combined formula chart.
Make a chart, divide it into columns and write in it the formulas of all the lessons such as perimeter, area, volume, TSA, CSA of the shapes respectively. You can keep this formula chart near you while practicing questions to refer to when facing any difficulty. Also, use it to revise as many times as possible.
- Ask when not understanding
Doubt clearance is very important. Many students when having doubts, don’t feel confident to ask them from the teachers. They feel like if they ask doubts, they might be judged, or scolded by the teachers.
But this is not the case. Teachers are there to help you out only. Hence all students don’t feel afraid of it. Whenever facing any difficulty in understanding a word problem or a mensuration concept, ask your teachers. With proper doubt resolution, you will be able to understand the topics better.
- Don’t start late
Mathematics lessons can not be understood and solved accurately quickly. Many students keep on delaying their learning till exam time. This makes them pile up huge chunks of syllabus and exercises which become difficult to deal with together. To avoid this happening with you, start practicing early only. Keep your classroom learning and
- Practice, practice, and practice more
We all know practice makes a man perfect. The same works here. To understand these topics and foster your mathematical skills, remember to practice as much as possible. Pick up a set of few questions daily to understand and solve the mensuration problem sums accurately.
Among several mathematics topics, mensuration is considered to be a difficult one for the students. The main reason behind this is that these lessons have a lot of formulas and word problems to learn and solve respectively. But by following the above-mentioned learning tips, this problem can be overcome. All these tips will help students to understand, and solve the mensuration concepts and questions better.